Activities and Cultural Events – Summer 2010
The Heritage Association is a member of the Cultural and Heritage Committee for the Township of Potton.
As a courtesy, we are including in the Association’s calendar of summer excursions and activities, other cultural events scheduled this summer in our Township.
Click here to download the PDF file (146 K)
Permanent Exhibition of APPHA’s historical Panels, Conference Room of the Town Hall
Exhibition on Old Potton Schools :
From June 4th to October 12th at the Reilly House, 302 Principale, Mansonville, 450-292-3109.
Everyday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Welcome to all.
Exhibitions at the Memorial Library :
- May 4th to 28th: Display of paintings by 5 local artists, oil and acrylic
- June 1st to 25th: Josette Favreau
- June 29th to July 30th: Quilters with Marjorie Newell
- August 3rd to 27th: Paintings by France Grégoire
- September 1st to 30th: “Painters of the Past” organized by Raymonde Plante
- October 5th to 29th: Paintings by Rosemary Callander Hébert
Every Saturday from July 3d to September 4, starting at 11:30 a.m.: :
“Saturday in Potton” : Music, Craft booths, Farmers’ Market
- Saturday June 5th, 11 :00 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- Join in Neighbours’ Day and take part in a pot-luck BBQ in your area. Get to know your neighbours and build enduring community ties. Reserve before May 29th with the host in your area. For details and locations, please call Trish Wood (450) 292-3313 # 228 or firstname.lastname@example.org (Postponed to June 6th, in case of rain).
- Saturday June 26, 9:30 a.m. :
- Discover the Missisquoi River by kayak. Retrace Abenaki navigation routes and those of our first settlers. Admire Potton’s landscapes at a leisurely pace, from a different perspective. Kayak rental from Jacques Thouin ($25 for members, limited number) or at the ” Carrefour des Campeurs ” (450) 292-3737. Meet: 560 route de Mansonville, BBQ with Helga & Denis at noon: 5 $/ person. Confirm with Jacques (450) 292-3020 (kayak) and Helga (BBQ): (450) 292-3710.
- Thursday July 8, 10 a.m. :
- Historic Lake Memphremagog “cruise” aboard private boats. Picnic and swimming at the Mountain House site. Commentary provided by Gérard Leduc and members of the Owl’s Head Fish and Game Club. Cost : 10$/person, limited. Reservation : Edith Smeesters : (450) 292-0547. Boat owners: please contact Edith as soon as possible !
- From July 10 to 18 : Tour des Arts :
- Visit Potton artists and craftsmen in their workshops (see publicity folder displayed at local merchants).
- Saturday July 24, 4 p.m. :
- Evening excursion to Owl’s Head mountain! Discover the secrets of the mountain with Hans Walser. Pick up APPHA’s new pamphlet – “Mountain of the Owl”. Primitive overnight camping possible atop Owl’s Head. See the sun set and watch sunrise on July 25th. Bring water, food and camping equipment (transportation provided). Reservations: Edith Smeesters: (450) 292-0547. Limited.
- Wednesday August 4, 10 a.m. :
- Excursion in the Green Mountain Natural Reserve. Discover this magnificent natural heritage with Frank Ruiz. Meet: corner of Westhill and Route 243. Reserve with Frank : (450) 292-3542.
- Saturday August 14 starting at 9:00 a.m.:
- Join us at the Potton Multicultural Festival. Details to come from the Organizing Committee.
- Saturday August 21 10 a.m. :
- Forest excursion near Sugar Loaf Pond. Did you know that this name is over 100 years old? This was one of preferred excursions by tourists of that time. The artist, Charles W. Bartlett (1860-1940), noted specific places, such as Sugar Loaf Pond as ” worth the trip “. Picnic and swimming at Carol’s. Meet: Corner of Sugar Loaf Pond Road and Hilmar Krausser. Reservation : Carol Bishop : (450) 292-4844.
- Saturday September 4th, 6 p.m.:
- Corn roast at the Vale Perkins beach and concert (Samborski). Cost : 10 $. Bring a salad or dessert and your wine. In case of rain: postponed until Sunday September 5th. Reservations before August 28: Carol Bishop (450) 292-4844.
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday September 24, 25 and 26:
- “Journées de la culture” (Cultural Days). APPHA is organizing our annual Heritage Day as well as the 20th Anniversary Supper of the Association. Details to come.
- September 25-26, 2-3 and 9-10 October :
- “Autumnfest” at Owl’s Head. Potton Heritage Association booth and craft tables. Chairlift in operation. Guided tour of natural sites, etc. Volunteers needed for the BBQ : please call Hans Walser (450) 292-3566.
- Saturday October 16:
- Oktoberfest at Owl’s Head Ski Center : details will follow
Please note: Always register with the person in charge for activities at least a week in advance. If less than 3 participants, the activity is cancelled.
Unless otherwise indicated, all excursions are free of charge for Association members, $5 for all others. For the walks, we recommend that you bring your lunch.
To reach Potton Heritage Association: Yolande Lamontagne: (450) 292-0430.